Sunday, July 6, 2008

4th of July

This past week we celebrated one of my most favorite holidays- Our Nation's birthday, July 4th. I think each year I come to appreciate our freedoms more, especially now that I am a mother. I love to see all the flags lining the streets, city carnivals, parades, fireworks, and parties.
Our neighborhood participates in an annual flag raising ceremony on the morning of July 4th. We as neighbors gather together to pledge our allegiance to our United States, to pray together as a community, and to hear songs and talks reminding us of our great privileges/blessings as U.S. citizens. There is nothing more powerful than placing your hand over your heart and hearing the "Star Spangled Banner" amongst friends who share your same beliefs.
I get very emotional participating in this each year because I realize what a great gift God has given me to be free. It always chokes me up to hear about those who fought for our country, who loved their country more than themselves.
This year we also had bagpipe players, the fire department, the police department, and many retired military men (including some former POW's). Since my brother is currently serving our country in Afghanistan, seeing men in uniform brought a fresh wave of tears.
Following the flag raising ceremony, we had a neighborhood breakfast of pancakes with red, white and blue toppings. Everyone visits, the kids all play, and there is lots of really great food. We also have the privilege of seeing the jets flying right over us in formation each year (they do it for the parades along the valley, and our neighborhood happens to be along that route). If you have never seen the jets flyover, you are really missing out on a patriotic part of July 4th.
Later that afternoon we continued our yearly tradition of swimming at my brother Rick's house followed by BBQ and fireworks. This year the weather was great with just enough overcast to shield us from the hot sun. Rick lives in a cul-de-sac which is a perfect place for neighborhood fireworks (and their neighbors spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars on really good (and some illegal) fireworks).
We were able to make some really great memories, and it was a really good day. I hope you all had a chance to make your own special memories, enjoy the outdoors, and especially be thankful for the freedom we have- which costs many people so much. I feel very blessed to be an American. Happy Fourth of July!
Click to play 4th of July
Create your own photobook - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox photobook

3 comments:

Tyler Bastian said...

Geez what do you do all day! I'm more up to date than you. So there.
Hope I get to see you at work soon but hope it's not PCMC. I'd rather be taking it easy at IMC. -Miriam

Minetta said...

AWESOME!!! I, too, have very strong feelings about our country and our freedoms and all who stand and fight/fought for it. Your day sounds absolutely perfect. The perfect way to spend the day we celebrate the birth of such a great nation established with divine influence in order to support the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ.
How I LOVE this country!

Tyler Bastian said...

Tyler posted our latest post just last night while I was slaving away at IMC. I retract that whole comment about taking it easy there. Thanks for the compliment re: my photogenecity!! (I just made up a word) See you next Thursday! I still haven't checked to see if I actually work that day. -miriam