Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Updates from Afghanistan

I was sleeping this morning after a long night shift when Kenn came and woke me up after about an hours worth of sleep. My first thought was I'm going to kill someone (most likely Kenn), and as he was shoving the phone in my face, my next thought was it better not be a sales person or they will have the wrath of Jolene upon them.
To my pleasant surprise it was Scott (calling from Afghanistan). He was just transferred to Bagram and had the opportunity to give some family a call (can I say he called me before my parents or his wife- I always knew I was his favorite).
The phone call was brief (about 30 minutes), but just hearing his voice was like manna from heaven. It's difficult to have a conversation with someone in the military who is actively serving in a war because lots of the questions I asked had the answer- I can't tell you, or it's classified.
Scott says it's pretty good where he is staying- not too hot. He sleeps in a shed type building about the size of a 2 car garage that sleeps about 8-10 people. He also finally has a bed to sleep in (previously he had a wooden board to sleep on). To help blend in with the locals, Scott has grown a big bushy beard (which is so unlike Scott). My parents have a picture of his new look, and I will post it as soon as possible.
He sounds well, and loves serving in the military, but I can tell how hard it is for him to be away from family- especially Kelly, Addie, and Ethan! He has now been in the service for 8 years, and this is his second active duty (he previously served in Iraq in 2003). I am very proud of Scott for his patriotism and willingness to our country, for the many sacrifices he has made not only during these past few months, but during his whole life to help make this world a better, safer place. We are all anxiously awaiting his safe return home.
The soldiers love to receive any letters, pictures, packages, etc. (even from complete strangers). If you would like to send any words of encouragement, leave your email address in the comment section, and I will email Scott's address to you.
One last thing- Please support our troops and pray for them and their families!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Send me his address... I can't guarantee I'll write him, but I'll try.

Michelle - aka Belle said...

I'm glad to hear Scott is doing well. I can't wait to see the picture of the unshaven beast. I'm sure I would walk right past him on the street.
Looks like a fun day on the water. We are not going to Bear Lake this year, so we won't have the water experience this time.
My Just For Bell blog is kindof my place to keep a journal, so no one is being invited. Sorry. Love you though.
-Michelle