Thursday, February 28, 2008

Birthday Musings

I have to admit I have been feeling down in the dumps over the past few days. Besides the fact that I have been working the last 36 out of 48 hours, and that one of the premature babies that I was taking care of died during my shift last night, my brother Scott was deployed this last Tuesday. He will spend the next 2 months training in Fort Lewis, Washington, and then he will be deployed for a year to Afghanistan. This is a picture of Scott with his beautiful wife Kelly and their daughter Addie. Kelly is due to give birth to their son in April. Please remember these soldier are fighting for a worthy cause, and to keep them and their families in your prayers while they are making such a great sacrifice for us.

Today is my 31st birthday. I have spent the whole day lounging in bed and doing absolutely nothing- and I don't feel one bit guilty. In fact I didn't even bother to get dressed this morning after I got home from work. Kenn and I had big plans to go out tonight- we were going to go to the temple and then to dinner. But the Bountiful Temple is currently closed for cleaning and with the kids school obligations and such our plans fell through. Now we are debating what to feed the kids for dinner (our typical evening conversation)- it will probably end up being cereal or PB&J sandwiches. Nevertheless, I do have to admit this year's birthday is 1,000% better than last year when I was bed bound and recovering from elective surgery and an infection.
At least the snow is starting to melt and I can even see some green grass. Kenn and I are in the planning stages to tear down our old garage (which is really more like an oversize shed), and build a new 2 car garage with a room above it. So far we have just met one obstacle after another. What a headache!!! Maybe Kenn will just take my advice and move to a bigger nicer house that doesn't need any fixing up.

1 comment:

Alysha said...

Jolene,
Happy Birthday!!! I can't believe we're in our 30's. OUCH. I didn't call you. I'm the worst friend ever. I will have to make it up to you by taking you out to lunch when I come down. Will you be around March 22-29? I'm coming to visit that week because of spring break.