Sunday, December 14, 2008

Birthday Bashes

December is a big month of celebration for our family. Besides the many holidays, we also celebrate the births of Luke, Kenn, and my mom Diann.
Kenn and Luke always get their birthdays celebrated together because Luke's birthday is on December 1st, and Kenn's birthday is on December 2nd (Luke was just 3 hours shy of being born on Kenn's birthday). Kenn and Luke celebrated their 36th and 7th birthdays respectively this year.
The story of Luke's birth always makes me smile (although I sure wasn't smiling at the time). He was born on a snowy Saturday. Kenn was at work at KSL for a BYU football game. I was home with Alexa (4 years old) and Jake (one year old). My contractions started at about 6 o'clock at night. Kenn couldn't get home, my parents weren't answering their phones, and I couldn't get a hold of any neighbors. My contractions were coming fast and hard (I thought for sure I was going to have to give birth in the bathtub). My parents finally got my desperate message and came straight to my house (bringing my brother Eric with them). Eric stayed with the kids and my parents took me to Lakeview hospital (after getting the van stuck in a snow bank). We arrived at the hospital about 8:30 P.M. A nurse checked me in, and left to call for the doctor. My water broke and I delivered soon thereafter. Luke was born at 8:56 P.M. My dad held my hand, my mom tried to take a few pictures (and cut the umbilical cord), and the nurse delivered my baby. Kenn missed the whole thing (but they did announce Luke's birth on the radio- which the doctor happened to be listening to on his way to the hospital). Everything went fine after that, and Luke came home from the hospital happy and healthy.
I would love to post some pictures of Luke and Kenn over the years, but our whole house is currently boxed up in a storage unit (something to look forward to next year).
For their birthday celebration this year, we had dinner at my parents house and invited Kenn's grandma, dad and brother over for dinner, dessert and presents.
Kenn's birthday present was our house (I know pretty exciting). Luke got some pretty cool presents- Perfection game, race car, Iron man pajamas, Transformer stuff, Legos, and a tumble car (which promptly broke 5 minutes after the kids started playing with it).

We celebrated my mother's 65th birthday tonight. She received calls/visits from all eight children, plus my grandfather and some aunts. We made her dinner of beef enchiladas, salad, vegetables, and homemade gingerbread with fresh whipped cream.
My dad gave mom a new video camera, and we gave her a Nativity Christmas ornament (my mother collects different Christmas ornaments so it has become our traditional present to her). She also received some plants, wind chimes, pictures, and other things.
My parents are now both officially senior citizens.
We could only find 25 candles to put on the cake,
But there sure was a lot of smoke and melted candle wax!

I love my parents so much. I will never be able to express my gratitude for all they have done for me and taught me throughout my life. Happy Birthday Mom, we love you!!

3 comments:

Kristin said...

That's awesome! What fun celebrations... and I LOVE the story of Luke's birth... I don't think I've heard it before. It's great that we can look back at those kinds of things and smile.

Christina said...

Good times! Can't wait to visit later this month!

Michelle - aka Belle said...

What?! You didn't get Mom some Iron Man pajamas?
See you soon.
-Michelle