Thursday, October 30, 2008

Catching Up on Construction

We have feverishly been working on our house (and I have been working a lot of extra shifts to help pay for our construction), thus the lack of posts on my blog lately. I have made sure to take a lot of pictures along the way to document all the fun (??) we've been having. It's nice to actually see our house being put back together now and some progress being made since the last 2 months have mostly been destruction on the home.
Yesterday most of the framing was done (on the inside of the house), the plumber was putting in all the new pipes, the HVAC guy was measuring our house for new furnaces and duct work, the window man was verifying the sizes and styles of the windows and the french door, and the electrician is scheduled to come next week. We probably had 10 men doing different things and asking a bunch of specific questions about details of the house (like plug outlets, positioning of furniture, etc.)- let me tell you, I thought I knew exactly what I wanted in my remodel, but now I am even more confused. I just hope it all turns out okay and everything coordinates in the end.
Pardon all the pictures, I was too lazy for a slideshow.

This was our house in the middle of September
The framing for the outside of our house was completed while I was in Oregon for my grandmother's funeral.
The outside framing and roof were finished in the middle of October.We did the roof ourselves. I know this just looks like any other roof, but for me it is a thing of beauty!
Our family (especially Bruce, Dee, and Eric) helped out a lot. Even Jake got into the action and helped lay shingles and fire the nail gun.
On the evening when we were finishing up the roof, we were able to witness the most beautiful sunset (the picture doesn't do any justice for the actual event).
This is part of our kitchen/dining room
Here is our new kitchen (Alexa's former room)
Our new living room (actually it is the same as our old living room, but bigger- the place of the ladder is where the old living room ended). This will be my new master bedroom- double the size of my last bedroom and with 3 windows bringing in lots of light, walk in closet, and master bathroom- I love it!This is part of the master bathroom (the vanity will be on the right where you can see the pipes, the large shower and toilet are located at the other end of the room).This is another view of our room, entry way is on the left, the walk in closet is on the right.
Alexa's old closet, to be converted into our new food pantryHere is our entry way (yes that is a refrigerator in front of the door)- the kitchen is on the left, the living room is on the right, my bedroom and bathroom are behind me.As you come in the front door, there is a small mud room to the right, and a 1/2 bathroom.Our old kitchen is being transformed into a laundry roomOur downstairs bathroom is starting to come together- Kenn is standing in the area with the toilet and bathtub, I am taking the picture from the area with double counters/sinks.
Our downstairs family room still doesn't have much action going on (next week the window will get cut out and be enlarged).Jake standing in what will be his new room
Luke is standing in his future room

Those are the newest pictures of our house for now, but I'm sure it will all be changed by next week with all the progress that is being made. We are now in the process of picking tile, flooring, fixtures, carpet, cabinets, and paint. So much to do with so little time to do it. Unfortunately our house won't be livable until after the holidays, so we are staying with my parents until sometime in January (but at least it is going really well living with them, and my parents are bending over backwards to help us out- my mom even makes dinner for us every night, it will be hard to leave that when the time comes).

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I actually prefer lots of pictures over a slide show. I love all that you are doing. I think it's great you're getting what you want and am jealous of the amount of light you'll have. I'm excited to see the finished product.

Michelle - aka Belle said...

I'm jealous. You get to spend lots of time with the 'rents, Mom's cooking, new bigger house. Not jealous of the construction mess, longer shifts at work, cramped living space. Wish it was done sooner for you.
Love you!

Katie said...

How fun for you guys! I love remodeling! (Mike hates it!) It's always a pain and inconvienence while it's going on but it's always worth it in the end!